Candy White VW Golf 6 GTI stone chip repair and detail

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
mikhail117
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: Volkwagen
Car Model: CW Polo 6R GTi

Post by mikhail117 »

Hello!

Next up, I had this CW GTI that was in need of some love. The owner approached me to find out whether I’d be able to touch up the chips he had accumulated over the years, or whether he’d be better off with a respray and I mentioned to him that I was looking at a DIY repair kit that you kept in your boot, used when necessary and required no wet sanding. At the time I had not used it yet, so I couldn’t vouch for the product yet. He decided to give it a try and both myself and the owner are very happy with the results.

The car arrived dirty, as I always recommend, and ready to be brought back to life.
As usual, first up, a few pictures on arrival:

First order of business would be to clean the wheels, they weren’t overly dirty and thanks to the fact that they’d been cleaned properly continuously and dirt had not been able to accumulate and settle on the rims.

Process:
Arches: Cyclo CM30 @5:1 | HP rinse | Cyclo CM30 @5:1 which was agitated using a Mothers Fender well brush | HP Rinse
Tyres: Cyclo CM30 @5:1 | HP rinse | Meguiar’s All Wheel and Tire left to dwell then agitated with a Mothers tyre brush | HP rinse | Dressed (later) with multiple coats of Gyeon Tire
Wheels and callipers: Cyclo CM30 @5:1 | HP rinse | ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner @ 1:5 agitated using Wheel Woollies and other brushes | HP rinse | Dry | Gyeon Tar | Wiped away | Gyeon Iron | HP rinse | flood rinse | Clay using CarPro medium clay and ONR as lube | Cyclo CM30 @5:1 | HP rinse | Protected with Gyeon Wetcoat | HP rinse | Dried

Before:

During:

Tar Removal:

After:

Moving onto the engine bay, this required some elbow grease, but again, nothing out of the ordinary: The lining was cleaned and dried before the bay itself was cleaned using APC and damp cloths. The paint was then polished and components were dressed.

Process:
Under Bonnet: Lining Removed and cleaned using APC| Protected with Mother’s Carpet and Upholstery Protectant | Paint cleaned with Cyclo CM30 @ 5:1 | Polished using Auto Finesse Tripple on a MF hand applicator pad
Engine Bay: Clean with Cyclo CM30 @5:1 using various brushes | Wiped with wet MF cloths| Dried with MF towels and air | ] Paint cleaned with Cyclo CM30 @ 5:1 | Polished using Auto Finesse Tripple |Plastics dressed using Auto Finnesse Dressle

Before:

After:

Before moving onto the wash, the exhaust tips were tackled. They were cleaned using APC and later polished with Meguiar’s NXT polish on a Mothers Power Ball Mini drill attachment.
The car was then sprayed down with a pre-wash before getting her first rinse and layer of foam. After letting the foam dwell for a few minutes, she was rinsed again before being refoamed in preparation for the wash. The door shuts, petrol flap and emblems were cleaned using various brushes and APC where necessary. The car was then washed using the 2 bucket method and then dried before getting a full chemical decon, before the remaining contaminants were clayed off using medium grade clay.
The car was then rinsed and dried before being readied for the polishing steps

Process:
Wash: Pre-wash mix sprayed onto vehicle using ValetPro Citrus Pre Wash | HP Rinse | Pre-Foam using Gyeon Foam | HP Rinse | Foamed again using Gyeon Foam | Panel Gaps, emblems, petrol flap and door jambs brushed using ValetPro Detailing brush | 2 Bucket wash using Gyeon Bathe and Gyeon Smoothie mitt with 2 grit guards per bucket | HP Rinse | Dried using various drying towels and ONR
Decontamination: Gyeon Tar | Wipe with MF towels | Gyeon Iron | HP Rinse | Flood rinse | Clayed using Gyeon Clay and ONR | HP Rinse | Dried using various drying towels and ONR

But before polishing could commence, we had to take care of the stone chips which plagued the entire front end. The kit I used was from ChipEx and the method in which you’d go about filling chips, would be to first cleanse the area to be worked on using an IPA or the supplied blended solution. The chips are then attended to (not necessarily filled) using the supplied paint, which is mixed according to the colour code of the paint you provide. After letting the paint dry for a few minutes, the blending solution is then used to remove the excess paint from the area. The process is then repeated if necessary to fill deeper chips. Once complete, the last step is to polish the area using the provided polish. The paint was left to cure overnight, before the defects were corrected using two hits of Menzerna FG400 on a Rupes Blue microfiber pad, with 3 steps required on the bonnet. The paint was then refined using CarPro Essence on a yellow Rupes Foam pad.

Process:
Stone Chips: Paint cleansed using ChipEx blending solution | Chips touched up with supplied paint | Peaks and excess removed with blending solution | Polished using the solution provide in the kit | Left to cure overnight
1st step: Menzerna FG400 on a Rupes Blue Microfiber pad | SHC300 in some areas
2nd step: CarPro Essence on a Rupes yellow foam pad
Pillars and rear lights: Menzerna PF2300 on a Cyclo green polishing pad | Menzerna SF4000 on LC black finishing pad

Pictures:

Stone chip touch up:

Before:

Filled:

Excess removed:

Next section:

Another section:

Polished:

Before correction:

50/50:

Before and after:

Carbon Fibre bits:

Taillights 50/50:

B-pillar 50/50:

The emblems were cleaned using Auto Finesse Tripple using earbuds and microfiber cloths. The paint was then protected using Kamikaze Infinity Wax, which was left to cure for 90 minutes while the sundry items were tackled. Glass was cleaned and polished before a hydrophobic coating was applied to the windshield; rubbers and trim were cleaned and dressed. The wheels received a coat of Menzerna Powerlock.

Process:
Paint Protection: Kamikaze Collection Infinity Wax
Exterior gloss trim: Kamikaze Collection Infinity Wax
Rubbers and hard plastic trim : Cleaned with Shield heavy duty Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner | Protected with Aerospace 303
Glass: Cleaned using Meguiar’s Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner | Coated with Soft 99 Glaco
Exhaust: Cleaned using Cyclo APC @1:5 | Polished and protected with Gtechniq M1

Emblem cleaning:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MveQ1S] Image

Exhaust before and after:

With the sun setting, photos weren’t plenty but they were enough to show the difference 30 hours of TLC made:

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the read :type:
Mikhail Petersen

mjpetersen@mweb.co.za
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Candy White VW Golf 6 GTI stone chip repair and detail

Post by amstel18 »

Amazing work Mikhail.

Really impressed at the visual improvement of the Chipex kit.
Might need to look into this for the wifes astra.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Ahmed.Syed
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Model: Citi Rox 1.4i

Post by Ahmed.Syed »

Nice one bud... :hurray:
Ahmed Syed
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Outstanding work bro
Car is properly restored, paint looks good :hurray: :hurray: :thumbup:

Awesome pics toooo :drool:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
N3mo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: AUDI Q3 2.0TDI / TT 2.0TFSI

Post by N3mo »

Nicely done bru

That stonechip repair is boss, well done
crumbs
Race Chip
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Citi Rox 1.6i

Post by crumbs »

What touchup paint was used? I need that in my life....
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8

Post by Belix »

That chip repair is really impressive. Panel shops I've asked said repair was impossible and whole area needed to be repainted.
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Insane difference, well done bud!
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Rsi huntered »

Nicely Done :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That car looked like it was washed with sand paper every wash :crazy: :fear: :lol: :lol:

Nice save....... (if you dont mind me asking what was the price tag on the repair kit and from where)
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
mikhail117
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: Volkwagen
Car Model: CW Polo 6R GTi

Post by mikhail117 »

amstel18 wrote:Amazing work Mikhail.

Really impressed at the visual improvement of the Chipex kit.
Might need to look into this for the wifes astra.
Ahmed.Syed wrote:Nice one bud... :hurray:
Unobeat wrote:Outstanding work bro
Car is properly restored, paint looks good :hurray: :hurray: :thumbup:

Awesome pics toooo :drool:
N3mo wrote:Nicely done bru

That stonechip repair is boss, well done
Kyle wrote:Insane difference, well done bud!
Belix wrote:That chip repair is really impressive. Panel shops I've asked said repair was impossible and whole area needed to be repainted.
Thanks gents :hug:
crumbs wrote:What touchup paint was used? I need that in my life....
Rsi huntered wrote:Nicely Done :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That car looked like it was washed with sand paper every wash :crazy: :fear: :lol: :lol:

Nice save....... (if you dont mind me asking what was the price tag on the repair kit and from where)
The kit is called ChipEx, fully DIY, can be bought and shipped here through a UK detailing website called The Ultimate Finish
Mikhail Petersen

mjpetersen@mweb.co.za
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Awesome work dude :hurray:

CPT peeps should be glad they have you there :thumbup: