Who thought only bad washing techniques could ruin paint

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Pristine Detailing
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, Porsche
Car Model: Polo GTI / Caddy/Cayenne

Who thought only bad washing techniques could ruin paint

Post by Pristine Detailing »

Hey guys

The importance of choosing a Detailer wisely....Check the link to a post on detailing world. Just shocking

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=355201
Vishal Nair
Pristine Detailing
Tel: (+27) 82 331 9095
Fax: 086 517 4709
Email: vish@pristinedetailing.co.za
Web: http://www.pristinedetailing.co.za
Kiran
Thumbie
Registered for: 13 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 1 Citi
Membership No: 2028

Re: Who thought only bad washing techniques could ruin paint

Post by Kiran »

Yoh that was really shocking poor car
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Re: Who thought only bad washing techniques could ruin paint

Post by lawrence »

This really doesn't surprise me in the least.

:cry:

The quality of work done by most people that polish cars is terrible - in this group are all the okes who work at body shops and polish cars, the local hack at your corner car wash that offers a 'full house valet', as well as what I call the 'commercial' type place that offers a 'full detail' done in a few hours.

Quality means sweet f'all to them. Their only priority is finishing the job as quickly and cheaply as they can, and, as long as the car 'looks shiny' (most of the time in the shade, not under inspection lighting or the sun), then the customer is 'happy'. But once you really start looking at the paint, all the common stuff is easily visible:

Buffer trails
Pigtails
Sanding marks
Wool pad marks/DA Haze
Edge mapping
Clear coat failure
Edge burn-throughs

I deal with this on literally EVERY car that has been subjected to repaint work and/or those that have been given to some hack to polish previously.

I would go out on a limb and say that in a country like ours of 50m+ people, you will be hard pressed to find 50 detailers who can consistently produce quality work (0.0001% of us), yet often times when you provide a quote, people are all like :eek:

The bottom line is you get what you pay for....

And by sending your car to the 'cheap' dude to be polished, not only do you eventually land up paying the 'expensive' guy to fix the first guy's hack job, but you have lost precious clear coat in the process.

Penny wise and pound foolish FTL!