Fine scratches on mk5

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Niezaar
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Fine scratches on mk5

Post by Niezaar »

Hey guy, need some advice i recently found some very fine scratches on my car any advice in which product to use and how to go about doing this as I'm a hands on guy also its a Reflex silver on the mk5 if I'm not mistake if that's the name. Thanks
Niezaar
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Re: Fine scratches on mk5

Post by lawrence »

what is your experience level when it comes to detailing?
what products / tools do you have on hand
what is your budget

I would strongly suggest you go and read through this guide I wrote first http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166322

it will help you identify what is wrong with your paint, and what the fix is.

the 'fine scratches' you are referring to will probably be what we call swirl marks. If so, there are only 2 ways to no longer see them.

The first is to fill the scratches with a glaze type product, creating the illusion that the paint is scratch free. This is easy to do, relatively inexpensive, but the results to do not last long and can be less than perfect.

The second more expensive, more permanent option is to POLISH (read : Grind away, sand, level) your paint flat again so that there are no scratches in it. The downside is a) by hand it is a BIG graft and b) by machine it is (1) expensive and (2) risky.

There is only so much polishing one can do safely on a car.

I would also suggest you read through a few of the detailing threads in the detailing section to get an idea of what is achievable, and to pick up on other tips and tricks.

Shout if you want to know anything else :thumbup:
Niezaar
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Fine scratches on mk5

Post by Niezaar »

Firstly thanks for the response and secondly I have no detailing experience when it comes to cars but I do have a polisher as I'm in the woodworking industry of spraying kitchens but I assume it won't be the same principle and product to use ,I will definitely read up on what u sent through and get back to u ,thanks bud
Niezaar