What bad PPF installs look like

A business run by car enthusiasts for the car enthusiast.
We offer a wide range of paint protection films to suite your budget and needs and are able to do onsite fitment to ensure the vehicle never leaves the garage.
We also offer vehicle wraps in a variety of colors and finishes, vehicle detailing and ceramic coatings, vinyl stickers, decals and branding, aftermarket accessories and performance software and hardware.
Kuvi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 13 years 9 months
Membership No: 2101

What bad PPF installs look like

Post by Kuvi »

Many times, people will shop around for the cheapest price and I understand that fully. The economy isn't in the best of states at the moment. But....people should also remember that cheap isn't quality and quality isn't cheap.

Here are some examples of the cars I have had at my shop last week were the owners decided on the cheaper route and had then brought the cars to us for fixing up other peoples muck ups.

Over stretching of film leaves "waves" in the adhesive and causes distortions and breaking of the adhesive:

It is also much easier for this to happen with the cheaper material as we had been informed what film was applied to these vehicles.

Lifting of the film along the edges (due to shrinking), incorrect trimming and bubbles in the fitment:

One of the other major problems we found was cutting through the film into the vehicles paint:
ImageImage

Unfortunately the cut paint required the bumper to be re-sprayed before we could fit our VPS PPF can be applied so that car was then taken away to a panel beater.

I can assure you with VPS Randburg, you get quality fitment done by certified staff using quality material which is the genuine VPS by 3M. :thumb:

I just thought it would be a good idea to create some awareness around this so that the next time you get a quote for VPS, you know what you are paying for :thumb:
HannesG
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: POLO CLASSIC 2.0 (BBX)

Re: What bad PPF installs look like

Post by HannesG »

that looks pretty kak
Current ride: 2007 VW Polo Classic 2.0
Project car: 1999 VW Polo Classic 1.8i

EX's:
2005 Nissan D/C 2.4
2003 Audi A4 1.8T (120kw)
2003 Audi S3 1.8T
2002 VW Polo Playa 1.6s
1995 VW Golf Chicco 1.6
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Pics of whole car?
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Kuvi
Lieutenant

Post by Kuvi »

missioner wrote:Pics of whole car?
Sorry man. I didn't take pics of the whole car.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

:eek: :eek:
This is just bad!!
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

:fear: :fear: :fear:
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Rucking fidiculous :mad:

The part the REALLY gets me is the cutting of the PPF on the car.... :bang:

Here's an example I encountered on a brand new 7R I detailed where they had cut the film on the car. http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=178753
Kuvi-VPS wrote:people should also remember that cheap isn't quality and quality isn't cheap.
Exactly - you get what you pay for!!!!
Kuvi
Lieutenant

Post by Kuvi »

lawrence wrote:Rucking fidiculous :mad:

Here's an example I encountered on a brand new 7R I detailed where they had cut the film on the car. http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=178753
Kuvi-VPS wrote:people should also remember that cheap isn't quality and quality isn't cheap.
Thanks Lawrence

Trimming the PPF on the car is the norm. The process is normally to template the shape of the film need and then cut this out on a table. the final trimming is done on the car along the edges and this is done by scoring the film which will then break away along this line.

Its just that when the guys don't know how to do it correctly that's what leads to the issues like this.

I order to become VPS certified (which both my fitters and myself are) we had to be able to cut the film on the backing without cutting the backing itself. It took a some time to prefect but we are all able to cut the PPF without cutting the paint on the car.

Again, its comes down to what your are really paying for.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Kuvi-VPS wrote:

Thanks Lawrence

Trimming the PPF on the car is the norm. The process is normally to template the shape of the film need and then cut this out on a table. the final trimming is done on the car along the edges and this is done by scoring the film which will then break away along this line.

Its just that when the guys don't know how to do it correctly that's what leads to the issues like this.

I order to become VPS certified (which both my fitters and myself are) we had to be able to cut the film on the backing without cutting the backing itself. It took a some time to prefect but we are all able to cut the PPF without cutting the paint on the car.

Thanks for the information... it helps to understand how it should be done...

And I guess this
Should then rather read...
The part the REALLY gets me is the cutting THE PAINT while installing the PPF on the car.... :bang:
And you spot on.... you get what you pay for :thumbup:
Kuvi
Lieutenant

Post by Kuvi »

lawrence wrote:
Kuvi-VPS wrote:

Thanks Lawrence

Thanks for the information... it helps to understand how it should be done...

And I guess this
Should then rather read...
The part the REALLY gets me is the cutting THE PAINT while installing the PPF on the car.... :bang:
And you spot on.... you get what you pay for :thumbup:
Thanks Lawrence. No problem at all man.

Its these bad installation which creates the fear in the public to have the film fitted to their vehicles. We just have to try to create more awareness around how it is actually done, correctly.
G_baby
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by G_baby »

I have seen a car with a cheap vinyl job. The person who did it cut right through the paint to the bare metal. The cuts where so deep that i could see brown rust lines appearing within the cuts. Btw the car was a conquest.